Mexican has always been a favourite cuisine of mine. All that spice, smoky BBQ flavours, soft floury tortillas, crunchy nachos, oozy cheese, fresh salsa and creamy sour cream – what is not to love!
However traditional Mexican dishes aren’t the best for the waistline and they definitely aren’t Whole 30 complaint thanks to the grains and dairy. However I refuse to be deprived of my favourite flavours while enjoying a healthy diet, so with a few simple tweaks I have found completely sin free Healthy Naked Fajitas. They may be missing some of the best bits but they still satisfy my Mexican cravings.
Healthy Naked Fajitas skip the cheese and sour cream toppings and swap floury tortillas for crunchy fresh lettuce leaves. Salsa can be shop bought (sugar-free versions) or just mix up some of your own quickly in a blender.
Healthy Naked Fajitas – Serves 2
4 large iceberg lettuce leaves
2 chicken breasts
2 onions – 1 white, 1 red
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp chilli powder – more or less to taste
Salt and pepper
1. Combine all spices and slat and pepper together.
2. Chop all veg and chicken into strips
3. Heat a little oil in your frying pan and add the vegetables along with half your spice mix. Cook for around 3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and the other half of your spice mix and cook until cooked through.
5. Serve the mixture in your lettuce leave and top with salsa.